The objectives in designing the Raptor Hand were as follows:
* To simplify fabrication and assembly and repair for makers and recipients alike
* To provide a platform and reference design for future innovations, incremental and radical
* To identify a core features set and standardized dimensions embodied in accessible 3D models with progressive licensing terms that will ensure widespread availability and future development.
e-NABLE's prior "go to" designs included the Cyborg Beast, the Talon hand, the Ody hand and the Talon Beast. To these classics, the Raptor Hand by e-NABLE adds the following features:
* Easier and quicker printing (no supports required)
* Easier and quicker assembly (no Chicago Screws required, simplified cord installation)
* An improved tensioning system (modular design, allowing for easier future development)
* Improved documentation (coming soon)
All of the parts needed for assembly can be found easily in most areas, but if you prefer to get everything in one place, 3D Universe offers kits with all of the assembly materials needed for producing a Raptor Hand: http://shop3duniverse.com/collections/3d-printable-kits/products/raptor-hand-by-e-nable-assembly-materials-kit
The PDF Assembly Instructions Manual is courtesy of Mike Agronin of Direct Dimensions.
For more information on where to connect with people who can help someone in need with sizing, printing and/or assembly a mechanical hand please join the e-NABLE Google+ Community entitled, e-NABLE:https://plus.google.com/communities/102497715636887179986
For more information and stories:http://enablingthefuture.orghttps://www.facebook.com/enableorganization
Additional instructions and information:http://enablingthefuture.org/upper-limb-prosthetics/the-raptor-hand/